PRECISE SNOW DEPTH MEASUREMENT BY MEANS OF ULTRASONIC TECHNOLOGY
The USH-8 is an ultrasonic sensor for the precise, continuous and non-contact recording of snow depths. The robust design, a special ultrasonic head as well as an extremely low energy consumption makes the USH-8 a very suitable system for extreme weather conditions and so for alpine and high alpine terrain.
FEATURES AND ADVANTAGES
Continuous and non-contact measurement
Reliable sensor for extreme environmental conditions and high alpine employment
Robust, sealed and therefore maintenance free ceramic membrane with protective shield against ice and snow
High level of accuracy thanks to the integrated temperature compensation and filtering of snow and rainfall using intelligent spectrum analysis
Energy-saving operation through sleep modus, ideal for solar-powered measuring stations
FIELDS OF APPLICATION
The USH-8 is especially suitable for extreme weather conditions and so for alpine and high alpine terrain. Its high operational safety enables a permanent and reliable recording of measurement values, for which reason it is commonly used by meteorologists, avalanche warning services, ski regions, research stations and the energy sector.
The snow depth is an important parameter for evaluating the snow pack. It must be measured regularly as the development of the snow pack is subject to strong regional and temporal fluctuations and significantly influenced by actual weather Ultrasonic Measurement of Snow Depth conditions (snow or rainfall, air temperature, wind etc.). The USH-8 is a non-contact device and therefore does not compromise the snow pack. It can measure depths of up to ten metres continuously and with convenient remote data transmission if needed.
- Range 0 to10 m (0 to 32.8 ft)
- Resolution 1 mm
- Accuracy 0.1 % (FS)
- Measurement principle ultrasonic sensor (frequency 50 kHz; opening angle 12°)
- Temperature measurement range -40°C to +60°C (-40°F to +140°F), resolution 0.1 °C
- Analog interface distance or snow depth, signal 0/4 to 20 mA (configurable), resolution 12 Bit
- Digital RS-232 interface snow-depth, air temperature, signal quality, various ASCII formats
- Power supply 10.5 …15 VDC
- Power consumption max. 200 mA (during measurement, ~3 s), 5 mA (stand by)
- Total energy consumption 0.5 Ah/d (1 min intervall)
- Ambient temperature -40 °C to +60 °C (-40°F to +140°F)
- Protection class IP 66
- Bracket for 61 mm (2 inch) mast diameter